By far (FAR) my most popular post is How to Reevaluate Your Life (2014)
It was followed by the sequel — ‘WHAT THE HECK DO I DO NOW?’: HOW TO REEVALUATE YOUR LIFE — PART 2
It led me to deciding to publish my self-improvement book for free on the internet (How to Come Alive). I figured, ‘Why should I just have it laying around for sale when I wrote it to help people, and according to the folks who emailed me from around the world, there’s people who need help right now?’ So check it out. It covers the 35 things I learned by age 35 that most improved my life (I turn 40 this year, so look for the pamphlet ‘Five more for forty’ coming… someday 😉
Once you read through the ‘Reevaluating’ post, I suggest my ‘Beginning Guide to Goal-Setting‘. In general, I recommend you follow these steps —
- Reevaluate your life: Without judgement or even need to take action, study your life, write lists of things you love to do and things you don’t, and maybe even check in with yourself off and on over the next couple of weeks, seeing how different situations make you feel.
- Find the life you love. Start imaging your perfect life. Write it down. In detail. Your perfect, average, ordinary day (not flying with a movie star to Paris). Ask yourself questions: What job would you do for free? During what period in your life were you happiest? What were you doing then? Are there hobbies or daily rituals that really bring you joy? Write it all down.
- Set three big goals. Each for different area of your life (like health, job, learning, travel, etc). Pick something you can do in the next year or two, ‘Breakthrough Goals’ (in Jack Canfield parlance) that will change your world — and your view of yourself — forever.
- Break down those goals. Create yearly, monthly, and weekly steps that will add up to your big goal.
- Read some ‘pins’ for inspiration. I suggest my most challenging Pinterest page — ‘Think Bigger’.
I also recommend these —
Here’s some books, sites, and more to help you in your journey — good luck!
The Success Principles by Jack Canfield — This is the book people — my favorite self improvement tome.
Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life: A Kick-Butt Approach to a Better Life by Larry Winget — This is so great — You’ve never seen a self improvement book like this!
The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday — Along with The Success Principles, simply the most important book in my journey to having a positive outlook and achieving the life of my dreams
Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton — This book absolutely changed my life
StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment From the Leader of the Strengths Revolution by Marcus Buckingham — A small book, but a very worthwhile addition to the Strengths idea
I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi — An extraordinary book that finally makes the topic of money and finances no longer scary for me. A fun read. I so wish I’d discovered this in my twenties, but I’m so grateful that at least I discovered it now
Richard Hittleman’s Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan by Richard Hittleman — my favorite yoga book!
Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual by Michael Pollan — so small, so perfect: simply great advice on eating
Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon — a great book about creativity and hard work
You Turn by Ashley Stahl — A newer book, but a wonderful, more career-focused one on why you should change your job now
Pinterest.com — Get inspired people!
A Beginner’s Guide to Healthy Eating — The best how-to I’ve seen; this guy rocks!
20 Fast Dinner Recipes — Teach yourself to treat yo self
18 Secrets to a Longer Life — I don’t agree that with all the social ones, but overall, this is a good list
Everyday Healthy Living — A government site with a lot of smart basics
The Beginner’s Guide to the Paleo Diet — Find out more about this new diet that is in fact the oldest of them all!
Paleo Diet Food List infograph — A list of what you can eat — with pictures!
TED talks — So good!
When you start thinking about changing your life, the most important things to know are —
- You can absolutely do it.
- You may have to try a lot of different approaches to find the best way forward for you.
- And lastly, you are awesome and brave. Few people even attempt to find their perfect life. You are a rock star and you’re gonna win big.